Saturday, May 7, 2011

uncharacteristic

so this year, i told myself i'd try new things. something i've never ever done before is run competitively. actually, i don't even run, but that's another story. am still perplexed as to how i somehow ended up representing singapore (!!!) in a cross-country race. ok, tell a lie. it wasn't really the olympics but hey, i did run for singapore against our malaysian counterparts.

knew i was in trouble when the brisk walk from parking lot to starting point left me gasping for breath. 

V, my race buddy gifted with long indian legs and lightning speed, was the 3rd faster female runner whilst i was very proudly 3rd from the back. however, even completing the race was an achievement! after the dust had settled, i found out that my steadfast, stalwart V was surprised i outran the malaysian machiks. she was also afraid that i'd collapse half way and only have my remains discovered by an overenthusiastic group of girl guides months later. in the alternative, she pondered the possibility of my drowning in the reservoir, subsequently to be devoured by the resident crocs. 

needless to say, can you imagine my complete mortification when she spontaneously ra-ra-ed a bunch of (much faster) participants to cheer me on at the finish line? there i was hoping to slip past unnoticed, a good half hour slower than the rest but noooo... when i was in the throes of physical agony and existential angst, questioning my judgment and masochism, i was greeted by a personal cheerleading squad telling me to run like my life depended on it. paisehhh maxxx...

the only plus point, besides winning of course, was carbo-loading with truffle fries the day before. 


because truffle fries make everything right with the world :)

now to get off my behind and do some prep for that 10km run i signed up for in july...

oopsY!

2 comments:

  1. PS Cafe! Truffle fries! Heaven.

    Congratulations on completing the run(s), by the way - I have absolutely zero talent for running of any sort, so respect to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey babe :) haha i'm in completely agreement that truffle fries are heaven (and heart attack...) on a plate!

    the runs were by far the hardest things i've done this year. after the over-exertion, i concluded that i'm similarly untalented when it comes to running and have since hung up my running shoes haha. that sure was one short-lived romance!

    ReplyDelete